Sunday, September 22, 2013

The First Few Days...

I've been here 3-ish days, and already God is moving. Either I'm learning Spanish way faster than I expected, or I just know way more that I thought I did. But either way, I'm able to carry on a pretty good conversation. I'm even teaching a girl named Julieta (said"hoo-lee-ē-ta") how to play ukulele! Music notes here are not distinguished by "A, B, C, D, E, F, and G." They're called "la, si, do, re, mi, fa, so" respectively. It's harder to teach because of this, but once we got a little chart down on paper, we were flying! She's learning Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours."

On Friday, the leader of YWAM Argentina came and spoke to us. He taught us about a heart divided between God and the world. Alanna, who is from New Zealand, translated for me. Matthew 6:24 "No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money." It really spoke to me. I have been a bit worried about how I am going to pay for outreach (January - March), airfare to and from Argentina, and transportation around the city. But I cannot be so worried about money. I cannot let it consume me, because otherwise I am obviously not trusting God with it, and that basically equals serving money. I don't want to serve money! God is the one I want to serve.

On Saturday we went out a church where we had worship, a message, and then went out to do evangelism. The worship was awesome. I knew two of the songs! Listening to songs in Spanish really paid off. :p The message was very spirit lead. I could understand most of it, which surprised me. Being able to understand the language helped a ton to get the message, but the fact that I could actually feel what was being said more than the actual words... That's what really impressed upon me that it was spirit lead.

After that we prepared to out for evangelism, then we walked out of the church to go to a park where we were going to do women's make-up and talk to them... But it started raining as we walked! It wasn't bad, but once we got to the park, we had to find shelter, and fast! It started pouring eventually, and I got suuuper wet.

This is our shelter... It was successful for a while because it blocked the rain from blowing our way, but useless when it started pouring... We found shelter in the entrance to an underground station.




This morning I visited an English speaking church with Alanna. It was nice to have a break from all the Spanish. The church service was much more structured than I'm used to, but afterwards we had coffee and pastries, awesome fellowship, and a time to talk about the message we received. I really enjoyed the people there and the time I spent talking with them. The pastors are from Texas, and it was fun to hear their accent! I hope to go back to that church with Alanna, but I also want to explore the other churches JUCUM (YWAM) Capital Federal is involved with. I want to explore this city for all it's worth!


Here are some pictures of the house I am living in. I have no roommates yet, but I'm excited for them to arrive in about two weeks!

door handle

brick walls!!

"hallway"

stained glass window (outside)

that's the stairway behind me

stained glass window (inside)

more hallway

view from my room. :)


Romans 8:38-39 (MSG) "None of this fazes us because Jesus loves us. I’m absolutely convinced that nothing—nothing living or dead, angelic or demonic, today or tomorrow, high or low, thinkable or unthinkable—absolutely nothing can get between us and God’s love because of the way that Jesus our Master has embraced us."

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed every word of your comments -- every pixel of your pictures and can hardly wait for the next breath to come from your blog. I love you! Gram

    ReplyDelete