Saturday, September 28, 2013

First Week = Down.

I have done so much this week, I'm sure I'm going to forget something in this post.
On Monday, Alanna and Tamara invited me to go with them to the central, and of course I accepted! I couldn't pass up the opportunity to see more of this city that I am growing fond of so quickly.
We took a bus into the central, hopped off, and I found myself in London... Had we gone through a magical wardrobe on our way here? I did a double-take and realized that, no, we hadn't. (Obviously not,  but it was fun to dream that such a wardrobe could exist.) Everyone was speaking Spanish, calling out "Cambio!" to exchange currencies, and the shops were much smaller. But the architecture is very British, giving me the feel of being back in London. I did a little research and discovered that Brits came to industrialize and become landowners, as Argentina was part of the United Kingdom's informal empire (an independent nation that Britain had economic influence in, that was outside the British Empire. *quoted*)
Pink government house!

National Bank of Argentina

I love the round window things

En la calle...

London, no?

This is actually a clock tower the Brits put here, it made me think a little of Big Ben.


Tuesday I started doing work duties. I learned how to clean the kitchen. When we got to the last part, the floor, we swept and then it was time to mop. I discovered that they don't use a mop like we're used to. They use a rag that been soaked in soapy water and put it on something kind of like a giant squeegee (that's a funny word. lol). Then you push it across the floor to clean it. Bam. You're done. Well, you've gotta squeeze out the rag, but seriously, how easy was that? 

On Wednesday and Thursday, I got to talk to two friends and my mom and little brother and sister! I loved seeing their faces and hearing their voices! It made being here that much easier. I got to hear about my college group and how my friends that attend are doing, and just talk to Taylor. I got to talk to Jamie and hear about the last few months of her life. I haven't seen her since DTS ended in March, so it was amazing talking to her the way we would in our room in London. Then when I talked to my mom and siblings, I think I laughed the whole time! We had such a great time talking and catching up about life. E and C have started and art and science class, and I loved seeing what they made and what they had learned. I got to see all our pets and hear how they're doing as well.

On Friday night, we all took a bus to another YWAM base here in Buenos Aires for a huge meeting with worship and a message. It was SUPER cramped on the bus, it was not possible to not be always touching somebody. Then we got on, you guessed it, another cramped bus. It took a good hour and half to get there, but it was so worth it! We had a great worship time, the message was translated for me by a guy from South Carolina (which was cool hearing an American accent in real life), and great fellowship. On they way home, the first bus wasn't cramped and we got to sit down, but they second was just as cramped as the first two. No surprise to me, my feet were swollen and hurting this morning. I had to wear my sandals all day today, which was not as big of a bummer as some would think! I love wearing sandals, and my weren't cold at all today. It was wonderful.

This week has been odd. I've gone through so many emotions and had so many thoughts... It feel like I'm an abridged version of Lord Of The Rings, if that's even possible. See what I mean? I'm tired every day, just from listening to Spanish and trying to understand all day, and transitioning back in to community life. Plus I've been missing my family and friends. 

But I'm really missing my London DTS classmates. To me, it feels like they should be here. They should be here learning Spanish and discovering Argentina with me. But they're not. They're back in London or their hometown or where ever God has placed them. They're not here. It's hard letting them go. It's hard letting God be the only one who truly gets me. Right now I'm in a place where I have to learn to let Him be my only friend. Oh, I have friends here. I know that without a doubt I have friends. But none of them know me like Jamie does. Like Kelley does. Like Chelsea, Simon B., Simon R., Ariel, Steph, Josie, Ole, Tina, Matt, Mariya, Martin, Seba, and Cass. I miss you all. But "every time I think of you, I give thanks to my God. Whenever I pray, I make my requests for all of you with joy, for you have been my partners in spreading the Good News about Christ from the time you first heard it until now. And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns. 
"So it is right that I should feel as I do about all of you, for you have a special place in my heart. You share with me the special favor of God, both in my imprisonment and in defending and confirming the truth of the Good News. God knows how much I love you and long for you with the tender compassion of Christ Jesus. 
"I pray that your love will overflow more and more, and that you will keep on growing in knowledge and understanding. For I want you to understand what really matters, so that you may live pure and blameless lives until the day of Christ’s return. May you always be filled with the fruit of your salvation—the righteous character produced in your life by Jesus Christ—for this will bring much glory and praise to God."

Phil. 1:3-11



No comments:

Post a Comment