Friday, July 19, 2013

Better Late Than Never

I know, I know. I did an awful job at updating my blog while I was abroad with YWAM London Urban Key. But that's putting it lightly. I NEVER updated. And I'm not sure if it's that I just didn't have the time, or if I just got really lazy. (I think it's the latter.)
Anywho...
Some of you know about my next adventure, some of you don't. Here it is: This October, I will be starting another YWAM school. This one is called Foundations in Counseling Ministry (FCM), and I'll be doing it in Buenos Aires, Argentina!
I want to tell you how this all came about. I was on outreach in Spain this past February and I was trying to decide what to do when my DTS ended. My one-on-one (Another word for mentor. Mine just happens to be form Argentina.) suggested this school to me and that I had some options of locations to do it. The two that stood out to me were London and Argentina. After much prayer and talking to others, I was set on doing the school in London. I knew that if I did it there I would be surrounded by those who know and love me, and I would be in a comfortable environment that I knew I could grow in.
All of that changed in May. One day I was praying, when suddenly, all I could concentrate on was Argentina. Argentina! Argentina! Argentina! I began praying for Argentina. I Googled it. I stared at it on a map and prayed over it. After a month of praying and seeking, I knew that Argentina was where God wanted me, not London. And at first, I was upset. I wanted to go to London! Argentina is great, but London is where my family is! After being upset, I was just scared. I don't know anything about Argentina except that in their Spanish accent the "ll" makes the "shhh" sound. That's not much to go off of.
I was scared for a long time. Finally God brought be some peace and comfort. I now find myself getting super excited any time I bring up Argentina to anybody. I've started learning Spanish again, using a site and phone app called Duolingo. (For anyone wanting to learn another language, I highly recommend it.) I've been praying for Argentina, and the base I'll be working with and learning at, which has helped give me a heart for the country and people.
I'm going to be honest though, I am still a tiny bit scared. But who wouldn't be scared going to a new country that speaks a different language and has a different culture than the one you grew up in? And you're going to live there for months in a row?
Yeah, I'm scared of the unknown. But there is no need to be scared of the One who knows my past, present, and future. He is not unknown to me, nor I to Him. Having the knowledge that He's got my back and that He is the one sending me in the first place gives me great peace of mind in the middle of my fear.


"So we don’t look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever." ~ 2 Corinthians 4:18

"To me, 'fearless' is not the absence of fear. It's not being completely unafraid. To me, fearless is having fears. Fearless is having doubts. Lots of them. To me, fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you to death." ~ Taylor Swift

No comments:

Post a Comment